- White paper plates
- Magnifying glass
- Small onions (with roots)
- Carrots (with leaves)
- Look closely at the mushrooms. Identify the parts and
pieces of the mushroom.
- Look closely at the onion and carrot. Identify the roots
and the "leaves" on each. Compare which parts are edible.
- Look closely at the mealworms. Identify the parts. Try
to observe what each part does.
- All of the objects you observed are living things. Yet,
each has different parts that have different functions.
- Which had the most parts? Biggest parts? Smallest parts?
- Extension Ideas
- You may or may not decide to "dissect" these living
things according to your own school's practice.
- Consider which parts are essential and which are non-
essential for each living thing to survive.
- Hotlist of Related Websites
- Rearing Mealworms
- More Mealworm Information
- Insects - Mealworms