IVORY COAST AND KENYA: SWAHILI AND MORE
The Swahili language evolved along the east coast of Africa combining the African Bantu with Arabic. The word "Swahili" actually means coast in Arabic.
Use this chart to translate and tell how many animals there are.
1. (tano simba + kumi twiga) / tatu nyani - nne tembo =
2. kumi x tisa - saba + sita =
3. tano nyani x kumi simba - moja punda milia =
4. The earliest ancestors of man may have originated in what is now Kenya about 12 million years ago. Write this in scientific notation.
5. The symbols on the fabric used to make many African garments originated in the Ivory Coast according to legend. Some of the symbols stand for valor, faithfulness, fondness, fearlessness, bravery, etc. Mabana wants to buy some clothing before she comes to the United States. A dashiki (shirt) costs $30 and she wants 4. A kenga is a cloth wrap that she can use to make dresses. They cost $25 and she needs 5. She also wants 1 kitenga (suit) for special occasions, which is $150. How much will all of this cost?
6. If she has 5 dashikis, 4 kengas, and 3 pairs of sandals, how many different outfits can she put together?
7. A kenga traditionally is 64 inches by 44 inches. What is the area? What is the perimeter? If we cut the kenga into 4 equal parts, what would the area and perimeter be for each piece?