IVORY COAST AND KENYA: INFORMATION
The countries of Kenya and the Ivory Coast are located on the coasts of the African continent. Many Americans can trace their ancestry to these coastal countries.
1.The Ivory Coast gained its independence from France in 1960. How many years ago is that? How many decades?
2. Using this map of the Ivory Coast, how far is it from Yamoussoukro to Abidjan? (in km) Even though Yamoussoukro is the capital, and has been since 1983, Abijan is still the most important city. Why do you think so?
3. If the country is 322,460 sq. km. and 4,460 sq. km. is covered by water, what % is dry land?
4. Make a double bar graph to compare the populations of Ivory Coast and Kenya.
Because there are so many patients suffering with AIDS in Africa, the life expectancy is getting lower. Most people live only 45 - 46 years.
5. There are 2.26 million radios and 900,000 televisions in the Ivory Coast. Write these in scientific notation. If there are 1.82 x 105 telephones and 6 x 104 cell phones, how many phones are there in all? Write this in standard form.
6. Use this map of Kenya. How far is it from Nairobi to Lake Victoria? to the Indian Ocean? (in km)