CHINA: THE TEN MAJOR DYNASTIES
Review these facts about the Chinese dynasties. Then, answer the problems
Shang Dynasty (1766 - 1040 BC) - Chinese were already using the
wheel for chariots
Chou Dynasty (1040 - 256 BC) - This was the time of Confucious,
the famous philosopher
Ch'in Dynasty (221 - 206 BC) - A unified system of writing
Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD) - Paper was invented
Sui Dynasty (589 - 618 AD) - The Grand Canal was built linking the
Tangtze Valley to Northern China
Tang Dynasty (960 - 1279 AD) - The first porcelain was made
Song Dynasty (1279 - 1368 AD) - Acupuncture was started as a means
of curing pain
Yuan (Mongol) Dynasty (1279 - 1368 AD) - The Mongols invaded the north.
Their leader, Kubla Khan, established the Yuan Dynasty
Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644 AD) - The Chinese sent the first fleets
of ships for trading.
Qing (Manchu) Dynasty (1644 - 1911 AD) - This was the last Chinese Dynasty.
The dynasties ended when the emporor was overthrown and a republic was
1. How many centuries were the dynasties in existence?
2. Which was the longest dynasty? the shortest? If you were to
graph the dynasties, what increments would you use for the vertical axis?
3. What is the range of the dynasties?
4. What year is the middle of the Yuan Dynasty?
5. Confucious lived from 551-479 B.C. How old was he when he died?
6. During what centuries was the Tang Dynasty?
7. About how many decades did the Han Dynasty last?
8. If acupuncture started at the beginning of the 11th century, how
many centuries has it been in practice?
Back to Melting Pot Math