MEXICO: MEXICAN JUMPING BEANS
The seed of a Mexican tree is famous for its quick jumping movements. The movements of a jumping bean are actually caused by a larva that lives inside the seed. Certain kinds of butterflies deposit their eggs in the tree's flowers. After the eggs hatch, the larva burrows into the young seeds of the tree. The larva devours the inside of the seed, but leaves the seed wall. Apparently, the bean jumps when the larva grasps the wall and jerks it vigorously. This enables the larva to move out of the sun and heat to more comfortable conditions. Warmth, light, and moderate noise enhance the seed's activity. Some beans remain active for several months. It gradually spins a coat and becomes a pupa. After metamorphosis, the moth cuts a circular hole through the seed wall. The moth wiggles its way through the hole and leaves the bean.
Below is a price list form from Oz's Enterprises where jumping beans
can be ordered in quantities
USE THIS CHART TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS.
1. How many beans would you get if you ordered a shipment with cards in 3 boxes?
2. If you bought 7 boxes and sold each card for $2, how much profit would you make?
3. How much would 30 boxes cost at $32 a box? If you were paying $48 a box, how many boxes would you get?
4. Compare the price of a single box when there are 6 for $.75 on a card or 4 for $.50 in a plastic box.
5. If bulk beans cost $.05 when you pay $70 a liter, how many beans would you expect to be in a liter? 3 liters?
TRY THIS GAME. USE THIS WEBSITE FOR THE GAME BOARD.
Rules of the Game
1. What is the probability that the winning bean will land on a number greater than 1? What is the probability that it will land on an even number?
2. If the original wager is 15 pesos, what is the most that a winner could collect if he/she won 5 games in a row? what is the least?
3. If 2 games are played by 4 players, list all of the possible outcomes. (numbers landed on)
4. Jorge, Pedro, and Stefan are playing the game. They play 10
rounds. The wager on each round is 2 pesos from each player. These
are the results:
Make a chart showing the results of each round/ how much each player won
or lost in the round.