Mother's Day Math
Ann Jarvis of Philadelphia began the campaign that brought
about the observance of Mother's Day in the United States.
Her mother had died and she wanted all mothers to be
remembered. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson officially
proclaimed Mother's Day as a national holiday to be held the
second Sunday in May.
- What is the earliest possible date that Mother's Day
could fall on? The latest?
- At a mother-daughter breakfast, the ratio of mothers to
daughters was 3 to 5. If 155 daughters were at the
breakfast, how many mothers attended?
- Jan's, her mother's, and her grandmother's ages all add
up to 126. Jan's mother is twice Jan's age, and her
grandmother is three times her age. How old are each?
Use these prices to answer the next few questions:
cologne: $12.99; candle: $4.99
earrings: $12.59; candy: $5.99
plant: $7.99; bouquet: $6.99
necklace: $5.69; picture frame: $4.89
- Jake has $20. Which two items could he buy that comes
closest to $20 without going over? Remember to include 7%
- How much would the candle and plant cost, including tax?
- Which two items cost $11.64 with tax?
- What would be the change from $20 if you bought a
candle, candy, and the picture frame?
- Ed wants to get his mother a card, a pin, and a pound of
coffee. There are nine cards to choose from, four pins, and
seven flavors of coffee. How many different choices does he
- Match the mothers and daughters.
No mother is exactly twice the age of her daughter.
No mother has the same hobby as her daughter.
No mother likes the same music as her daughter.
Terry is 20 and enjoys photography and rock music.
Janine is 22 and enjoys golfing and the blues.
Beth is 19 and enjoys cooking and jazz.
Jessica is 25 and likes dancing and classical music.
Ms. Blake is 40 and likes cooking and classical music.
Ms. Anderson is 50 and likes golfing and jazz.
Ms. Murphy is 44 and enjoys working in the kitchen.
Ms. Allen is 42.
- An American version of Mother Goose, who may have been
responsible for publishing age old tales and verses, died in
Boston in 1757 at the age of 92. How many years ago was she
Back to Puzzling and Perplexing